Starting Stats & Items (Astrologer Class)
Spells: Glintstone Pebble, Glintstone Arc
Weapons: Short Sword, Astrologer’s Staff, Scripture Wooden Shield
Armor: Astrologer Hood, Robe, Gloves, and Trousers
I recommend taking the Golden Seed keepsake to get an extra flask early on.
Traits To Increase
In early game you should focus your points into Vigor, Intelligence, Mind, and Endurance. 40 Vigor, 60 Intelligence, 55 Mind, and 50 Endurance will be good goals for Middle to End game. Your other stat goals should be 50 Endurance, 20 Strength, 20 Dexterity, 30 Faith, and 30 Arcane. But these other stats can be saved for later. Just shoot for an even distribution of Vigor, Intelligence, Mind, and Endurance early on. (These stat goals are the soft cap for each one, minus Intelligence)
Carry more Flasks of Cerulean Tears then Flasks of Crimson Tears. The goal is to be able to kill enemies from a slight distance before you need to worry about HP loss. This can be difficult in the early parts of the game. You’ll also want to get your hands on the Flask of Wondrous Physick as early as you can.
Flask of Wondrous Physick
This can be found at the Third Church of Marika, in the eastern portion of Liurnia. This flask can be customized with various Tears to boost your magic attack power. These are some Tears to look out for. ⭐ indicates an item highly recommended.
⭐Intelligence-knot Crystal Tear – Boosts Intelligence
⭐Magic-Shrouding Cracked Tear – Boosts Magic attacks
Spiked Cracked Tear – Enhances charged attacks
⭐Cerulean Hidden Tear – Eliminates all FP consumption
Cerulean Crystal Tear – Restores 50% FP
For most of the early game, the Astrologer armor is good and will be sufficient. When you feel ready for a new set of armor, here are some good options. Whatever armor you use, make sure you don’t exceed the Medium Load for weight. Helms usually have more buffs for magic than other armor pieces. Availability is denoted by E for early game, M for mid game, and N for end game. ⭐ indicates an item highly recommended.
⭐(E, M, [N?]) Alberich’s Set – Leyndell, Royal Capital, in the Fortified Manor. Boosts blood magic.
⭐(M, N) Azur’s Glintstone Set – Mt. Gelmir, near the Hermits Village, found during Sellen’s questline.
(M, N) Battlemage Set – dropped by Battlemage enemies, one is located east of the West Windmill Pasture on the Altus plateau.
⭐(E, M, N) Blackflame Monk Set – dropped by Blackflame Monk enemies, easiest to farm at the Divine Tower of Caelid: Basement grace.
⭐(E, M, N) Carian Knight Set – Raya Lucaria Academy.
(M, N) Errant Sorcerer Set – on two bodies in/near the Hermits Village.
⭐(M, N) Fire Monk Set – dropped by Fire Monk enemies, found near Fort Laiedd in Mt Gelmir and Guardians’ Garrison in Mountaintop of the Giants.
(E, M, N) Fia’s Set – finish Fia’s questline.
(M, N) Finger Maiden Set – at the Church of Inhibition.
(M, N) Godskin Apostle Set – dropped by the boss at the Divine Tower of Caelid.
(M, N) Godskin Noble Set – can be found on the bridge to the Divine Tower of Liurnia.
(M, N) Goldmask’s Set – found in 2 locations, helm is NE of Writheblood Ruins on a collapsed bridge. The rest is on Goldmasks body at the end of Brother Corhyn’s questline in the Capital of Ash.
(M, N) Guardian Set – dropped by Erdtree Guardian enemies found near Minor Erdtrees.
(M, N) House Marais Set – dropped by Maleigh Marais, Shaded Castle Castellan. W of The Shaded Castle.
⭐(M, N) Lusat’s Set – found at the end of Sellen’s questline.
⭐(M, N) Malenia’s Set – purchased in the Roundtable Hold after defeating Malenia. Helm vastly boosts HP.
⭐(M, N) Preceptor’s Set – found on Seluvis’s body in Seluvis’s Rise at the end of Ranni’s questline.
⭐(M, N) Queen of the Full Moon Set – purchased in the Roundtable Hold after defeating Rennala.
(M, N) Raya Lucarian Sorcerer Set – glintstone crowns can be found in many different locations. The rest of the armor is dropped by Raya Lucaria Sorcerers in the Academy.
- Karlos Glintstone Crown – looted off a crystallized crab, closest to the Debate Parlor grace.
- Lazuli Glintstone Crown – looted off a crystallized crab, closest to the Church of the Cuckoo grace.
- ⭐Twinsage Glinstone Crown – 2nd floor balcony of the Church of Cuckoo, looted off a crystallized crab.
- Hierodas Glintstone Crown – Hermit Village, on a corpse on the S side of the village.
- Olivinus Glintstone Crown – looted off a corpse in Raya Lucaria Academy, closest to the Schoolhouse Classroom grace.
- Witch’s Glintstone Crown – complete Sellen’s questline.
⭐(E, M, N) Sage Set – found in Stillwater Cave, in Liurnia of the Lakes.
(M, N) Scarab Helms – there are 2 available in the world.
- Glintstone Scarab – closes to the Raya Lucaria Grand Library, found inside a chest.
- Incantation Scarab – you have to examine the painting located at the Artist’s Shack. Then head SW of the Dragon Burnt Ruins, interact with a ghost sitting in front of a gravestone.
(M, N) Shaman Set – looted off of the Ancestral Follower Shaman in the Ancestral Woods area of Siofra.
(M, N) Snow Witch Set – after progressing in Ranni’s questline, found in a chest in Renna’s Rise.
⭐(M, N) Spellblade Set – drops from Sorcerer Rogier in Roundtable Hold. Boosts glintstone magic.
(E, M, N) Traveler’s Set – found on a body in one of the buildings in Street of Sages Ruins, in Caelid swamp area.
(M, N) Lazuli Sorcerer Set – helm is found on a crystallized crab in Raya Lucaria Academy. The robe is dropped by Lazuli Sorcerers found in the academy. The arms and legs are dropped by Raya Lucaria Sorcerers.
A great early game staff is the Meteorite Staff. Availability is denoted by E for early game, M for mid game, and N for end game. ⭐ indicates an item highly recommended.
Magic weapons can be upgraded with Somber Smithing Stones up to +10.
(M, N) Academy Glintstone Staff – no bonus
(M, N) Albinauric Staff – Scales with Arcane
⭐(M, N) Azur’s Glintstone Staff – Reduces casting time of all sorceries but consumes more FP
⭐(M, N) Carian Glintblade Staff – Boosts glintblade sorcery
(M, N) Carian Glintstone Staff – Boosts sword sorcery
⭐(M, N) Carian Regal Scepter – Boosts full moon sorcery, Spinning Weapon ash
(M, N) Crystal Staff – Boosts Crystalian sorceries
(E, M, N) Demi Human Queens Staff – no bonus
(E, M, N) Diggers Staff – Boosts Stonedigger sorcery
(M, N) Gelmir Glintstone Staff – Boosts lava sorcery
(E, M, N) Glintstone Staff – no bonus
⭐(M, N) Lusat’s Glintstone Staff – Boosts power of all sorceries but consumes more FP
⭐(E, M, N) Meteorite Staff – Boosts Gravity sorcery
(M, N) Prince of Death’s Staff – Boosts Death sorcery
(M, N) Rotten Crystal Staff – Boosts Crustalian sorcery and causes slight scarlet rot buildup (50)
(M, N) Staff of Loss – Boosts Invisibility sorcery
(M, N) Staff of the Guilty – Boosts Thorn sorcery and causes slight blood loss buildup (45)
You need a staff to cast Sorceries. Incantations are cast with a Sacred Seal of some type. You cast Sorceries and Incantations by consuming FP and Stamina. The number of Sorceries and Incantations you can have equipped, “memorized,” depends on how many Memory Slots you have. Memory Stones increase the number of Memory Slots available to you. The following Sorceries are organized by type. ⭐ indicates a spell highly recommended.
- Briars of Punishment – Mountaintops of the Giant, near three Lesser Fire Monks and a Golem Archer
- Briars of Sin – Dropped by a mob NW from the Artist’s Shack
- Carian Greatsword – Church of Vows, bought from Miriel
- Carian Phalanx – Sold by Preceptor Seluvis at Seluvis’s Rise
- Carian Piercer – Caria Manor, dropped by a Scarab
- Carian Retaliation – Sold by Preceptor Seluvis at Seluvis’s Rise
- ⭐Carian Slicer – Purchased from Sellen, Waypoint Ruins
- Glintblade Phalanx – Purchased from Sellen, Waypoint Ruins
- Greatblade Phalanx – Cuckoo’s Evergaol
- Lucidity – Carian Study Hall, dropped by Preceptor Miriam
- Magic Downpour – Carian Study Hall, dropped by Preceptor Miriam
- Magic Glintblade – Starting spell for Prisoner Class (any other way to acquire?)
- ⭐Great Oracular Bubble – Beetle in Siofra River
- Oracle Bubbles – Siofra River Well Depths grace, kill a beetle nearby
- Crystal Release – Academy Crystal Cave
- Crystal Torrent – Sellia Hideaway, Caelid
- Shattering Crystal – Second floor of the Church of the Cuckoo in Raya Lucaria Academy on a corpse
- Ancient Death of Rancor – Death Rite Bird in Liurnia of the Lakes, at night, S of the Gate Town North grace
- Explosive Ghostflame – Death Rite Bird, SE Apostate Derelict, at night
- Fia’s Mist – Follow Fia’s quest
- Rancorcall – Stormveil Castle, dropped by a Scarab
- Tibia’s Summons – Wyndham Ruins, drops from Tibia Mariner
Full Moon Sorceries
- ⭐Ranni’s Dark Moon (LEGENDARY) – Ranni the Witch questline
- Rennala’s Full Moon – Defeating Rennala and then purchasing in the Roundtable Hold
- ⭐Adula’s Moonblade – Dropped by the Glintstone Dragon Adula, accessible through Ranni the Witches questline
- Cannon of Haima – Converted Fringe Tower
- ⭐Comet – Raya Lucaria, behind an illusory wall
- Crystal Barrage – Purchased from Sellen, Waypoint Ruins
- Crystal Burst – Drops from the Demi-Human Queen boss, Weeping Peninsula
- Gavel of Haima – Converted Fringe Tower
- ⭐Glintstone Arc – Purchased from Sellen, Waypoint Ruins
- Glintstone Cometshard – Purchased from Sellen, Waypoint Ruins, after giving her the Conspectus Scroll
- ⭐Glintstone Pebble – Purchased from Sellen, Waypoint Ruins
Glintstone Stars – Purchased from Sellen, Waypoint Ruins
- ⭐Great Glintstone Shard – Purchased from Sellen, Waypoint Ruins
- ⭐Rock Blaster – Sellia Crystal Tunnel
- Scholar’s Armament – Bought from Sellen in Waypoint Ruins
- Scholar’s Shield – Bought from Sellen in Waypoint Ruins
- Shard Spiral – Bought from Sellen after progressing her questline
- Shatter Earth – Raya Lucaria Crystal Tunnel, on a corpse
- Star Shower – Bought from Sellen in Waypoint Ruins after giving her the Conspectus Scroll
- Starlight – Learned from Thops
- ⭐Swift Glintstone Shard – Bought from Sellen in Waypoint Ruins
- ⭐Terra Magicus – Complete the Academy Crystal Cave, take the elevator behind the bosses
- Thops’s Barrier – Drops from Thops’ body after finishing his quest
- Collapsing Stars – War-Dead Catacombs
- Gravity Well – Dropped by the Monolith Guardian at Raya Lucaria Academy
- ⭐Meteorite – Royal Grace Evergaol
- ⭐Meteorite of Astel – Yelough Anix Tunnel in Consecrated Snowfield
- ⭐Rock Sling – Street of Sages Ruins in Caelid
- ⭐Loretta’s Greatbow – Caria Manor, after defeating Royal Knight Loretta
- ⭐Loretta’s Mastery – Caria Manor, after defeating Royal Knight Loretta
- Gelmir’s Fury – Given by Bernahl at Volcano Manor after finishing 3 of Taniths contacts
- Magma Shot – Reward for completing Tanith’s first Volcano Manor quest
- Roiling Magma – Hermit Shack, Mt Gelmir, on a corpse
- Rykard’s Rancor – After defeating Rykard, bought at the Roundtable Hold
- Ambush Shard – On a corpse in the underground jail of the Witchbane Ruins on the Weeping Peninsula
- Eternal Darkness – Found near the Church of the Plague in a tower, Caelid
- Night Comet – Sellia, Town of Sorcery in Caelid, hidden behind a barrier
- ⭐Night Maiden’s Mist – Can be purchased from Gowry after finishing his quest
- Night Shard – Finish Gowry’s quest and then can be bought from him
- Unseen Blade – Mirage Rise
- Unseen Form – Mirage Rise
- ⭐Comet Azur (LEGENDARY) – Follow Sellen’s quest, Hermit Village, Mt Gelmir
- Founding Rain of Stars (LEGENDARY) – Heretical Rise, Mountaintops of the Giants
- Stars of Ruin (LEGENDARY) – Follow Sellen’s quest, given by Master Lusat
Snow Witch Sorceries
- Freezing Mist – Sold by Preceptor Seluvis at Seluvis’s Rise
- Frozen Armament – Dropped by a Scarab at Caria Manor, after defeating Royal Knight Loretta
- ⭐Glintstone Icecrag – Sold by Preceptor Seluvis at Seluvis’s Rise
- Zamor Ice Storm – Zamor Ruins, Mountaintops of the Giants, found on a corpse
I’ve only listed Talismans that directly influence magic and casting or could be beneficial to magic builds. There are many other Talismans that may suit your build better. ⭐ indicates an item highly recommended.
Ancestral Spirit’s Horn – Restores FP upon defeating enemies
Assassin’s Cerulean Dagger – Critical hits restores FP
Axe Talisman – Enhances charge attacks
Blessed Dew Talisman – Slowly restores HP
Blue Dancer Charm – Raises attack power with lower equipment load
⭐Carian Filigreed Crest – Lowers FP consumed by skills
Cerulean Amber Medallion – Raises max FP
Cerulean Seed Talisman – Boosts FP restoration from Flask of Cerulean Tears
Concealing Veil – Conceals wearer while crouching away from foes
Crimson Amber Medallion – Raises max HP
Dragoncrest Greatshield Talisman (LEGENDARY) – Enormously boosts physical damage negation
Dragoncrest Shield Talisman – Boosts physical damage negation
⭐Erdtree’s Favor +2 (LEGENDARY) – Raises max HP, Stamina, and Equip Load
⭐Godfrey Icon (LEGENDARY) – Enhances charged spells and skills
⭐Graven-Mass Talisman – Greatly raises potency of sorceries
⭐Graven-School Talisman – Raises potency of sorceries
Magic Scorpion Charm – Raises magic attack, but lowers damage negation
Marika’s Scarseal – Raises attributes, but also increases damage taken
⭐Marika’s Soreseal (LEGENDARY) – Greatly raises attributes, but also increases damage taken
⭐Moon of Nokstella (LEGENDARY) – Increases memory slots
⭐Old Lord’s Talisman (LEGENDARY) – Extends spell effect duration
Pearldrake Talisman – Boosts non-physical damage negation
Primal Glintstone Blade – Spells consume less FP, but max HP is reduced
Prince of Death’s Pustule – Raises Vitality
⭐Radagon Icon (LEGENDARY) – Shortens spell casting time
Radagon’s Scarseal – Raises attributes, but also increases damage taken
⭐Radagon’s Soreseal (LEGENDARY) – Greatly raises attributes, but also increases damage taken
Ritual Shield Talisman – Raises defense when HP is at max
Ritual Sword Talisman – Raises attack power when HP is at max
Shard of Alexander – Greatly boosts the attack power of skills
⭐Stargazer Heirloom – Raises intelligence
Taker’s Cameo – Restores HP upon defeating enemies
Alternatives to Staffs
As a spellcaster, weapons can offer an extra bit of protection you may find yourself desiring. There are several magical weapons that can give you a sharper edge. However, some of these weapons require higher levels of Strength, Dexterity, Arcane, or Faith. ⭐ indicates an item highly recommended.
Bastard’s Stars, flail, requires str 8, dex 22, int 22
Carian Knight’s Sword, straight sword, str 10, dex 10, int 18
Crystal Knife, dagger, requires str 8, dex 12, int 9
Crystal Spear, spear, requires str 10, dex 16, int 16
Crystal Sword, straight sword, requires str 13, dex 10, int 15
⭐Dark Moon Greatsword, greatsword, requires str 16, dex 11, int 38
Death Ritual Spear, spear, requires str 11, dex 20, int 18
Full Moon Crossbow, crossbow, requires str 10, dex 10, int 14
Glintstone Kris, dagger, requires str 5, dex 12, int 16
Lazuli Glintstone Sword, straight sword, requires str 8, dex 9, int 13
⭐Loretta’s War Sickle, sickle, requires str 20, 15 dex, int 20
Meteoric Ore Blade, katana, requires str 15, dex 14, int 18
⭐Moonveil, katana, requires str 12, dex 18, int 23
Regalia of Eochaid, straight sword, requires str 12, dex 18, arc 15
Rogier’s Rapier, thrusting sword, requires str 8, dex 17
Rotten Crystal Sword, straight sword, requires str 13, dex 10, int 15
Scepter of the All-Knowing, hammer, requires str 12, dex 18, int 21
⭐Sword of Night and Flame, straight sword, legendary, requires str 12, dex 12, int 24, fai 24
Sword of St. Trina, straight sword, requires str 10, dex 12, int 14
Wing of Astel, curved sword, requires str 7, dex 17, int 20
Ashes of War
You may find yourself wanting to add an Ash of War to one of the above weapons if it doesn’t have one already. The following ashes all scale with Intelligence and will likely work the best for a magic build. ⭐ indicates an item highly recommended.
Ash of War: Carian Grandeur
Ash of War: Carian Greatsword
Ash of War: Carian Retaliation
Ash of War: Chilling Mist
⭐Ash of War: Glintblade Phalanx
Ash of War: Glintstone Pebble
Ash of War: Gravitas
⭐Ash of War: Hoarfrost Stomp
Ash of War: Ice Spear
⭐Ash of War: Loretta’s Slash
Ash of War: Spinning Weapon
Ash of War: Thops’s Barrier
Ash of War: Waves of Darkness