Billionaire Elon Musk said in a series of tweets on Dec. 9 that he would delete 1.5 billion accounts from social network Twitter in the coming weeks and add a new feature.
According to Fox News, on the morning of December 9, billionaire Musk tweeted: “Twitter will soon begin deleting the personal pages of 1.5 billion accounts.”
In another tweet the same day, Mr. Musk said: “This will delete accounts that apparently have not tweeted and haven’t logged in in years.”
Mr. Musk also said: “Twitter will show views in a few weeks, just like videos. Twitter will be much more active than people think.”
Meanwhile, Musk has previously promised to remove inactive accounts from Twitter, Business Insider reported. In November, he said he would delete accounts that had been inactive for 15 years.
At this time, it is unclear how long the account may have been inactive before being deleted. In October, Musk said accounts that had been inactive for more than a year could also be at risk.
Twitter representatives did not immediately respond to Business Insider’s request for comment.
Twitter usage appears to have increased in the weeks following Musk’s takeover. During the first weekend of November, Twitter hit an all-time high for daily active users, according to Apptopia.
Fox News also reported that the changes come as Musk phases out users’ voice modifiers and moves toward a free exchange of opinions.
The files, dubbed “Twitter files” by Musk, were shared with Substack reporter Matt Taibbi and reporter Bari Weiss.
The document shows that Twitter’s ongoing content moderation was decided “at the highest levels of the company without the knowledge of CEO Jack Dorsey.”